« Home | Things I learned this weekend that I already prett... » | The breaking point... » | Stress and such... » | Back to the blog... » | Is that what the founders meant? » | Here they are, the new Vrettos babies!!! They're b... » | 5 Questions... » | Questions from Jersey Girl, Questions for You? » | SOOO much better » | Intrigued by stupid crap. » 

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 

Requirements to be "educated"

There are too many people walking around in my general vicinity, screaming about how educated they are (largely because of advanced degrees) who can't seem to do the simplest things. Okay, I admit it. I'm an education snob. But COME ON!!! Here's my simple list of things you must do in order to be allowed to scream about how educated you are. Alternatives are also included :)

1. You must be able to spell "opportunity" if you are going to talk about an educational opportunity. You may not use the alternate spelling "oppurtunity." You MAY alternately simply hit spell check. Microsoft knows that "oppurtunity" is not a word.

2. You may not use the words prospective and perspective as if they were interchangable. They are not. There is no alternative here, other than to stop speaking. And, yes, I realize that I've said this one before, but it's always going to bother me, so it's worth repeating.

3. You must know that "that" and "who" are not interchangable either. As in, that's the girl that I spoke to. How many errors can there be in that statement? I won't even get into the dangling preposition.

4. You must know that, in order to call yourself a detail oriented person on your resume, you should NOT describe yourself as "Results and detailed oriented." You also may not leave out the "C" in Psychology. Alternate here is to accept that you are not detail oriented at all. Hey, not everyone is.

5. If you are going to claim to have spent 2 months to write a 2 page memo, you may not, under ANY circumstances, use the phrase "students completing the for the mental health concentration." This is just plain sloppy. I caught it my first time reading. You didn't catch it in 2 months?

Okay. I'm done now. Now don't we all feel so much better????

At least they didn't say detail "orientated" - that one drives me crazy.

Hello from Poland :)

Post a Comment

50 things to know about Karchamb

Books of 2006

Archives

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates