« Home | An Angela Chase moment » | Too early to do REAL work.... » | A Moment of Silence, Please. » | Rewards for Stalker Girl » | Babies babies everywhere » | Resolutions and such... » | Reflections on the season » | More love of Thomas Friedman.... » | Presenting the DailyCandy Holiday Lexicon.... » | A motto from my sis... » 

Monday, January 31, 2005 

The generousity of semi-strangers

As many of you know, I've been fairly active in suicide prevention and will be walking in the upcoming 2nd overnight walk for suicide prevention this July in Chicago. This morning, I sent out my first email requesting support from friends, family, etc. By 1:00pm, I had met my original fundraising goal of $1000.

This wouldn't be shocking, except that it all came from one person, a friend of ours (though more Brian's friend than mine) who went through ODU with us and who we haven't seen since our wedding 4 years ago. We (the friend and I) aren't close enough to visit each other, physically or emotionally, and we don't really make any particular effort to stay in touch. In fact, we've probably sent fewer than 5 emails a year in these past 4 years, and I wouldn't say that we've missed being in touch.

And yet, she contributed -- a lot. I know that, certainly, she and her husband can afford to be generous, but what is amazing to me is the way that people respond when you just ASK. I actually thought twice about including her in the email, wondering if it was "rude" to solicit someone you don't talk to regularly. I guess what I've learned is that if the cause is good enough, people will respond.

50 things to know about Karchamb

Books of 2006

Archives

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates